Internship - Legal
The Ocean Cleanup
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop and scale technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. This is an opportunity for motivated law students to gain exposure to and experience with the The Ocean Cleanup's mission and work. The internship allows individuals to support the legal team’s daily operations and improve their own legal skills while working in a dynamic environment. This internship is an opportunity for students who, in the context of their studies, wish to gain practical educational work experience and deepen their legal knowledge. Interns will receive monthly compensation.
During this internship, you will be provided with a first-hand experience of the day-to-day legal operations of The Ocean Cleanup by closely collaborating with the Head of the Legal Department and Legal Counsels. As part of our team, you will be involved in a variety of tasks, ranging from the maintenance of our organization's trademarks and patents portfolio to supporting the
implementation of our team’s new Document Management System (DMS).
- Working with and under the supervision of the Head of the Legal Department, maintaining the Intellectual Property (trademarks and patents) portfolio of the organization;
- Answering simpler legal questions from other departments and escalating to the relevant legal counsel(s) where necessary;
- Support in the organization of meetings and events related to the Legal Department;
- Supporting the Legal Coordinator in implementing the Legal team’s new DMS.
- There will be opportunities to assist the Head of the Legal Department with administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings, managing calendars, organizing files, and assisting with preparing presentations and collecting other information according to the needs of the Legal Department. These tasks are essential for the smooth operation of the legal team and will provide valuable exposure to the daily responsibilities of a legal professional.
- Currently pursuing a law degree (third-year bachelor's degree or higher)
- Knowledge of or interest in a legal topic related to The Ocean Cleanup, our river projects, or the Legal Department in general.
- Excellent English language skills (written and verbal); Dutch or Spanish is desirable.
- Curious and eager to learn
- Pragmatic where possible, but thorough when needed
- Team player with high cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent communication skills
- Thrives in a fast-paced, international environment
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Prospective applicants should submit:
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- A transcript of academic records or statement of academic results
- An academic writing sample (an excerpt of any of your essays or papers in English)
- At least one letter of recommendation
Please combine and submit all required documents as a single pdf file.
Please note: Candidates are expected to be available 32 hours/week throughout the duration of the internship. If applicable, the internship can be combined with a Master's thesis project.
Additionally, candidates are required to be enrolled at a University (Bachelor’s/Master's/Ph.D. program) throughout the duration of the internship.
- Starting from:
- 25 September 2023
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
A valid European Union work permit is highly preferred for this position. However, feel free to send an open application so we can contact you if an opportunity arises in your country.