Internship — System Performance Analysis
The Ocean Cleanup
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technology to rid the world's oceans of plastic. In order to do so, we need to assess our technology’s ability to catch plastics in the ocean and find out where to improve. In this internship, you will provide an evaluation of the retention system performance by post-processing the data collected in our latest offshore tests while developing an efficient and organized method for future post-processing.
“Finding out the details of system performance will pave the way for further improvements to catch plastics in the ocean” - Fedde Poppenk, Sr. Project Engineer
The intern will work in the Retention System Team inside the Ocean Department of The Ocean Cleanup. You will post-process the various types of data available (footage, motion recording units data, GPSs data, metocean data, etc) from the offshore campaign and evaluate the performance of the retention system.
- Develop an efficient post-processing method
- Watch footage of the Retention System and correlate observations with Retention system conditions and metocean data
- Provide conclusions on the system performance based on this data
- Liaise with the Retention System team and other Ocean team members for evaluation of the design
- Liaise with Ocean team members such as the hydro team, Computational modeling team, and R&D team to define and improve post-processing methods
- Ensure proper documentation and comprehensive results and conclusions
- Fluent in English
- Ongoing Master's or Bachelor's degree in engineering
- Experienced with Microsoft Office programs is required, with a strong affinity for Excel
- Experience with Python, MATLAB, or any other data science programming language is highly valued
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, structured
- Team player, diplomatic
- An affinity with numbers
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
Please note that candidates are required to be enrolled at a University throughout the duration of the internship. Please mention your possible start date and duration in the application, as well as what the assignment requirements are for your specific track.
- Starting from:
- ASAP/July 2023
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
A valid European Union work permit is highly preferred for this position. However, feel free to send an open application so we can contact you if an opportunity arises in your country.
Something looks off?