Project Manager Senior - Vietnam/Thailand
The Ocean Cleanup
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. We plan to achieve this with a dual strategy: removing plastic directly from the ocean, while in parallel we develop and deploy cleanup systems to stop plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers.
As Project Manager, you will be managing a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, data scientists, business developers, environmental scientists, and legal experts to craft successful concepts. Externally, you will manage various stakeholders such as operators, waste handlers, project sponsors and permitting authorities, among others. You thrive in complex situations and take pride in realizing our most challenging deployments.
“This is a unique opportunity to join a team of impact-driven individuals who share a common mission to rid the world's oceans of plastics. As a Project Manager for the Rivers team, you can use your skillset to deploy projects that implement and validate Interceptor technologies in rivers throughout the world. We're looking for an outstanding candidate who has a track record of delivering projects to high standards, is willing to take on a challenge and can keep a sense of humor when the going gets tough!” Alice Collins – Head of Project Management – Rivers
We are looking for a Project Manager (Senior) to join the Rivers Project Management team and take on a specific project in Asia (based centrally in Rotterdam) starting asap. Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading projects that lead to the implementation and validation of Interceptor technologies in-river
- Coordinating cross-functional teams
- Complex stakeholder management (including but not limited to private organizations, large corporate, non-profits and development organizations)
- Developing a clear vision for the project, with an effective strategy for project formulation, implementation and evaluation
- Ensuring that the projects run smoothly by providing overall leadership, management, and supervision
- Ensuring that the project strategy is clearly communicated with team members, local beneficiaries, and partners
- Ensuring program implementation is on time, target, and budget
- Establishing and overseeing effective project monitoring, evaluation, and reporting systems for both internal and external use and ensuring high quality input is obtained from team members
- Overseeing project success, measuring impact, and calibrating project strategy accordingly
- Managing the project risks and opportunities, coordinating mitigation and escalation actions as needed
- Working with the Rivers Project Management team to develop, implement and improve internal processes within the organization
- Bachelor or Master's degree with additional training in project management
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in complex, international project management
- Experience with projects with a multi-year timeline, interfacing with governments and development organization (such as UN, Development Bank or other NGO)
- Relevant experience in defining project goals and designing the project structure with relevant stakeholders and/or consortia formed of various types of organizations (private and public)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) / PRINCE / SCRUM / AGILE certification is a plus
- Good working knowledge of MS Projects
- Proven track record in creating and managing project plans and budget control
- Given the nature of the work, a technical background is a plus
- Fluent in English
- Knowledge of Vietnamese or Thai language and culture is a plus
- You realize that thorough groundwork (document control, planning updates, admin etc.) is part of the job and a vital to the success of the project
- Hands-on mentality; you do not stop until the project is successful and you get energy from seeing tasks and projects through to completion
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are available to travel frequently
- You can handle change. You understand that The Ocean Cleanup is a relatively new organization still developing and refining its internal processes and are excited at the prospect of being able to contribute your skillset to building and improving these
- You are meticulous, detail-oriented, and structured
- You can work well independently but also know when to check in with the organization to ensure alignment with overall strategy and contain scope creep
- Team player – you know how to motivate and guide teams to deliver to the best of their abilities, get buy-in to trial new ways of working and work transparently with colleagues to ensure the learnings get transferred across the organization
- You perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment and can maintain a sense of humor under pressure!
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
A valid European Union work permit is highly preferred for this position. However, feel free to send an open application so we can contact you if an opportunity arises in your country.
Something looks off?