Quality, Health and Safety Manager
The Ocean Cleanup
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. To do so, we need to do the right things and we need to do things right - complying with appropriate standards and policies and avoiding incidents causing injury or damage.
You contribute by being responsible for:
- Leading the way in ensuring quality and compliance with appropriate standards and policies.
- Implementing management systems and developing comprehensive plans towards change management and continuous improvement.
- Driving our incident-free ambition and propagating a culture of safety.
You will have succeeded when:
We can continually improve our performance on Quality, Health and Safety and demonstrate compliance in a dynamic environment.
“At The Ocean Cleanup, we are driven to achieve a positive impact on our ocean. We believe anything is possible, but we need to continuously improve our performance. Are you that professional with passion and drive, as well as the peace of mind, to help us do things even better in our rapidly growing organization? ”Joël Jansen, Ocean Director.
The Quality, Health and Safety Manager is part of the Leadership Team, servicing various projects and departments in the organization. The Quality, Health and Safety Manager reports to the Ocean Director.
The Quality, Health and Safety Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining comprehensive management systems and procedures to support quality, health, and safety in our projects, ensure compliance, and provide training and support to crew members. The Quality, Health and Safety Manager will work to meet the needs of our partners and funders regarding quality, health and safety. She/he is also responsible for maintaining and ensuring compliance to the Quality Management System developed towards a Chain of Custody certificate for the collected ocean plastic used in applications. Additionally, she/he will drive a culture of safety, appropriately addressing change management, and continual risk reduction.
Your responsibilities include:
- Developing, implementing and managing Management Systems for Quality, Health & Safety, and Compliance.
- Managing compliance with the QMS and applicable standard for Chain of Custody (valid for our Ocean Plastic).
- Driving the culture of safety and embedding change management protocols in activities and operations.
- Defining minimum requirements to comply with appropriate standards and policies as required by our partners and funders.
- Safeguarding compliance and ensuring management of risks on internal policies on topics from waste management and sustainability to social impact.
- Master or Bachelor degree in Occupational Health & Safety or equivalent.
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience in a matrix organization, facilitating quality assurance, quality control in production or manufacturing, health and safety, or compliance management.
- Experience with various project management methods involving delivering technological products.
- Fluent in English.
- Experienced in Chain of Custody applications is a plus.
- Natural leadership qualities, inspirational management style
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced, dynamic and challenging environment
- Ability to venture outside well-travelled paths
- Result-driven and self-motivated, also in the face of adversity and setbacks
- Excellent communication skills
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast.
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.