River Waste Valorization Manager
The Ocean Cleanup
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop and scale technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. As part of our strategy, we develop and deploy Interceptor solutions to prevent plastic from flowing into the oceans through rivers.
The Catch Management team is responsible for management of this waste after extraction, with a focus on maximizing value and preventing it from returning to the environment. The job of the Valorization Manager is to develop solutions for sorting and recycling river waste which can generate revenue streams to ensure the financial sustainability of Interceptor operations executed by our partners.
“We are looking for a River Waste Valorization Manager who understands the challenges of the local context of our River projects, and is able to translate this into pragmatic river waste sorting and recycling solutions that are technically feasible and financially viable.” Stella van den Berg, Catch Management Director
- Develop and execute River Waste recycling pilot projects to generate revenue streams for long-term financial sustainability in collaboration with the project teams, adhering to our Waste Management guidelines and Waste Hierarchy.
- Work in collaboration with local partners to implement and validate the pilots, adapting to the local circumstances.
- Develop an existing network of technology providers capable of river waste sorting and recycling.
- Develop a portfolio of business models for River Waste Valorization to be tested and validated.
- Create a portfolio of plug-and-play solutions for River Waste recycling.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in plastic sorting and/or recycling projects.
- General understanding of the international waste management landscape, including recycling technologies, regulations, trends, key players, market drivers and requirements.
- Familiarity with waste sorting operations and small-scale waste sorting equipment configurations.
- Proven understanding of business principles and the ability to develop effective business models for river waste valorization, considering financial sustainability.
- Experience in dealing with a variety of cultures, interacting with local stakeholders from local communities to C-level executives.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills to work effectively with waste managers in river projects and communicate methodologies, tools, and templates clearly.
- Ability to manage and lead a pipeline of opportunities from ideation to successful delivery, with strong attention to detail to ensure accuracy and quality in the development and execution of the projects.
- Proven experience in project management to effectively plan, execute, and oversee river waste valorization pilot projects.
- Degree (BSc/MSc) in a relevant field such as environmental sciences, environmental engineering, environmental economics, or sustainable business.
- Relevant international experience, preferably in Asia, Latin America, and/or Africa.
- You are a self-starter with an analytical and data-driven approach to problem-solving.
- You are always ready to improvise, pragmatic and get plans back on track when they face challenges.
- You are able to work on a strategic level, as well as getting things done on the ground.
- You have excellent communication and social skills including a strong cultural awareness and ability to communicate on all levels.
- You are willing to push boundaries on status quo thinking and you question and explore the unknown.
- You are curious and willing to travel (abroad) for site visits on a regular basis. A driving license B is required.
- You have a strong command of the English language, verbal and written. Spanish language is also preferred.
- And above all: an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission.
Please mention the potential start date in your application.
For this assignment you will work with our team based in the office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.