About the role
The insurance industry is ripe for disruption. Instead of using the few major software houses in the industry, we’ve opted to build our system from scratch using a modern tech stack with a best-in-class continuous delivery pipeline.
As a Backend Engineer at Superscript you’ll help build a next-generation policy management system that can support the rich domain of insurance across countries, regulations, taxes and currencies.
This is a fantastic opportunity to bring your talents to a small but ambitious team as we build an industry leading product. To succeed, you’ll need solid experience in PHP and running scalable solutions in production.
What you'll get up to
On a day to day basis, you could be:
- Pairing and doing Google style PR reviews
- Getting involved in problem solving on whiteboards with your team
- Integrating with CRMs, payment gateways, billing systems, analytical tools etc.
- Creating or contributing to open source projects to give back
- Going to developer meetups regularly
- Improving our processes to remove any pain points in engineering
We don’t like to put people into boxes, but it’s safe to say that you will have:
- A keen interesting in learning and growing
- Deep knowledge of Laravel and how it can be used to efficiently deliver features
- PHP experience, or not afraid to learn it
- An interest in Domain-Driven Design
- Feature, integration and unit testing using PHPUnit (Behat experience is a plus)
- Experience with CI / CD / Hosting with Heroku and Netlify
- The ability to create simple solutions to complex problems
- An appreciation for Event Sourcing and how it can be used an effective tool
- Love for what Laravel does for PHP
In return, we offer you:
- A competitive salary and the ability to grow your career at the UK’s leading Insurtech 🚀
- An amazing team and founders, supportive board and investors 🤗
- 25 days holiday - so there’s plenty of time for work, rest and play 🏖
- Hybrid way of working for the perfect work / life balance 🏡
- Great pension 💰
- Full access to Spill, our mental health platform 🗣
- Cycle to work scheme 🚲
- Access to ThanksBen our personalised benefits & reward reward.
- Latest Apple tech gear & everything you need to be set up for success 🍏
- Fun, modern and informal office environment with regular team social events 👯♀️
- Awesome Rotterdam location at the shared work space CIC 🏢
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
Insurance should be a smooth ride, not a hop, skip and a jump. That's where we come in.
We’re Superscript, an insurance broker for small businesses, sole-traders, landlords and high-growth tech firms. As the first UK-based insurtech to become a Lloyd’s of London broker, we offer advisory and broking services, alongside a fully self-serve online platform.
Our proprietary machine-learning technology and unique multi-carrier model streamlines service and delivery – regardless of risk complexity, geography or industry.
Already working at Superscript?
Let’s recruit together and find your next colleague.