Lead Mechanical Engineer
Vacancy – Lead Mechanical Engineer
Lead Mechanical Engineer
SolarDuck is a Dutch-Norwegian company that is pioneering the technology to bring solar PV to the seas, and we are looking for talented individuals to join our team.
As a spin-off of Damen Shipyards, a leading Dutch shipbuilder, SolarDuck was founded in 2019 by a team of experienced entrepreneurs from the maritime industry. We are headquartered in the Netherlands (Rotterdam) and have a growing international presence with offices in Norway and Japan.
Our vision is to Electrify the World with Offshore Floating Solar, and we have developed a unique technology to bring solar PV offshore. Thereby we enable access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and independent energy for energy consumers around the world.
To strengthen our team, we might be looking for you! If you are curious to find new solutions, like to develop speed in what you do, are a trustworthy person driven to make impact we would like to get in touch. With your leadership and expertise, you’ll help us accelerate the growth of offshore floating solar energy by deploying over 1 GW every year from 2030.
As we continue to grow, we are seeking talented and experienced Lead Engineers (3x) in the field (of Floating Solar Research, Manufacturing Research, and Development). As the Lead Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for guiding and managing a talented and multidisciplinary team of approximately eight talented professionals, as a leader, you should be able to inspire and motivate your team, driving them towards success and excellence. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of hydrodynamics, mechanics, structures, electrical, cost, and manufacturing engineering. You will have a helicopter view of the entire project, steering and aligning the team on the best course of action, based on your experience with scrum and system engineering methodologies. You will work closely with the Bid Manager and Director Projects. You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders. Your leadership will ensure the team is aligned, risks are addressed, and certifications are achieved. The Lead Engineers will report to the Director Engineering.
- Lead the technical team (~8 engineers) and oversee the research, design, and development of our offshore floating solar platforms.
- Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders and clients while maintaining a professional demeanor knowing when to contribute and when to defer and articulating complex ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Provide technical guidance on scope and design from hydrodynamic, mechanical, structural, electrical, cost, and manufacturing perspectives.
- Lead and define the scope and Base of Design (BoD) for our offshore floating Solar projects, as well as steer and align on the BoD, keeping track of key risks and interfaces to ensure successful project delivery.
- Steer the technical team on making conceptual layouts for our platforms, solar farms, transportation plans, assembly equipment, and assembly sites and evaluate and trade-off whether they comply with all the requirements and functionalities and are optimal.
- Ensure the team maintains the latest revision of the drawings and designs.
- Review and approve engineering drawings, specifications, and technical reports.
- Arrange the certification of our offshore floating solar projects processes and products, this involves ensuring that all design and manufacturing processes meet rigorous regulatory requirements and industry standards.
- Collaborate closely with the Bid Manager and Director Projects on delivering projects on time and within budget.
- Participate in design reviews, risk assessments, and failure mode analyses.
- Be up to date regarding developments in our wider network of suppliers and industry.
- Master’s degree in Maritime, Offshore, Mechanical, or Structural Engineering.
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience in the field of Maritime/Offshore Industry.
- Strong understanding of at least 2 disciplines.
- Experience with SolidWorks or other CAD software.
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Have a solid knowledge of engineering and calculation methods.
- Proven leadership skills and experience leading engineering teams.
- The ability to build and develop high-performing teams through effective communication, collaboration, and leadership.
- Skilled in identifying and nurturing team strengths, addressing weaknesses, and cultivating a positive and productive team culture.
- Strong helicopter view in combination with an analytical mind to evaluate concepts.
- Solution-driven and hands-on mindset and be able to work in a structured manner in a scale-up environment.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Startup mentality: enthusiastic, independent, and getting things done.
Looking for a career with a greater purpose? Join SolarDuck, a fast-growing, mission-driven team that is dedicated to bringing offshore floating solar to the world. We are looking for passionate individuals to join our remarkable team of professionals who share knowledge and work collaboratively to create an inclusive and supportive work environment where your ideas are valued.
As part of our company, you will be at the forefront of an exciting and new market, with endless opportunities to innovate, learn, and grow. You will be encouraged to bring your creativity and expertise to the table, developing new solutions and strategies to make the desired impact.
At SolarDuck, we are committed to investing in your personal and professional growth through on-the- job learning opportunities and structured training and development programs. Additionally, we offer an attractive compensation package, including a share certificate program and a competitive salary. We believe in the power of diversity and are committed to building a team that reflects the communities we serve.
Do you recognize yourself in this profile, do not hesitate and apply today to join our team and help us achieve our mission using offshore floating solar energy!