Engineering Manager - Cloud Infrastructure
HousingAnywhere is Europe’s largest rental accommodation marketplace. With the full ownership of Kamernet and the acquisition of majority stakes of Studapart, the company represents 30 million+ yearly unique visitors, 160,000+ properties available for rent and 100,000+ tenants finding their new homes in Europe, based on the 2022 performance. Young professionals and students, mostly aged between 18 and 35, looking to rent a home are matched with accommodation providers; ranging from private real estate owners to large-scale property managers. Through its advanced platform, tenants typically book longer stays outside of their country of origin and rent accommodation for 3 to 12 months. The Rotterdam-based technology scale-up currently employs 260 people.
Rent Easy, Live Free.
We are empowering people to live wherever and however they choose. To find comfort and peace of mind on the other side of the world or the other side of town. All while feeling confident and totally at ease, whatever their adventure might involve. We are doing it by creating a new standard of renting. Safe. Harmonious. More options. Less hassle. With the help of our trusted networks of landlords and partners.
The product development team at HousingAnywhere is organised in Product Engineering, Platform Engineering and Data Science and Engineering. The Cloud Infrastructure team is part of the Platform Engineering team. The mission of the Platform Engineering teams is to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the Product Engineering teams. The Cloud Infrastructure team contributes to this mission by providing a secure, scalable and reliable infrastructure to support the product needs. The cloud infrastructure team does so by empowering the product teams to build and manage their workloads via an easy-to-use internal developer platform.
- At the Backend we mostly use Go, Postgres and Redis. At the Frontend we use React, Typescript, NodeJs.
- Our infrastructure runs on GCP, and are heavy users of Kubernetes.
- Our Architecture is a distributed architecture with several “Modular Monoliths”.
- We practise DevOps, Continuous Engineering, Domain Driven Design and Contract Driven Development.
Your role and impact:
We expect Engineering Managers to be technical, with a technical background. However, we don’t expect the Engineering Manager to do heavy hands-on work, but rather set the right technical direction.
Expect an effort of 40% spent in people management, 40% spent in management of projects and design solutions, 20% coding and/or helping others through pair programming or code reviews.
The role can be described in four pillars.
- Set your team for success to deliver on the roadmap effectively and in time.
- Ensure projects assigned to them are correctly scoped, planned and delivered in time through delegation.
- Identify bottlenecks, and create and evolve processes to make your team effective, and successful.
- Ensure work delivered by your team is up to our engineering standards, and guide less senior team members to unblock themselves when struggling.
- Work with other teams on cross-team projects and initiatives.
- Ensure operational excellence of the services and systems managed by your team. Ensure your team is equipped to handle and resolve outages effectively.
- Talk to stakeholders and proactively keep them informed about the status and impediments of projects.
- Unblock your team through effective decision making and leadership on difficult technical challenges.
- Collaborate on setting priorities and roadmap in line with the mission of the Platform Engineering team and in collaboration with other Engineering Managers.
- Set ambitious and achievable quarterly goals for your team in line with goals and strategy.
- Instil a sense of urgency to your team towards company goals, and ensure work is aligned with goals.
- Help your team focus on impact and outcome through good prioritisation and planning.
- Collaborate with other managers to align on management practises and guidelines and help evolve them.
- Resolve conflicts and differences of opinion and help the people involved align and move forward towards the common goals.
- Provide technical direction in projects for the team and unblock projects by making decisions when needed.
- Nurture the talents in your team and help your reports grow their career in HousingAnywhere by providing direction, mentorship and coaching.
- Manage performance review, and handle high performers and low performers effectively.
- Provide timely and actionable feedback to your team members to help them grow in their roles.
- Create growth opportunities through growing ownership and sponsorship for your team members.
- Spot needs and hiring new talents make your team more effective at achieving their goals.
- Embody our company culture and lead by example.
- Create a culture of ownership, empowerment and autonomy in which everyone is a leader.
- Create moments for team members to bond with each other and with people of other teams.
- Establish a growth mindset culture where people are safe to make mistakes and learn from them.
- Create an inclusive and diverse environment in which different perspectives are considered and valued.
- Look out for problems and unhealthy aspects of our culture and influence key people to propose improvements.
Who we look for
The type of work experience for this position is usually found with around 8 years of experience in the field, focused on building and maintaining complex cloud infrastructure setups, and at least 2 years of experience managing high performing, diverse and inclusive teams. Experience working in a Platform engineering team, building and maintaining Internal Developer Platforms is desirable.
- You find energy in helping people grow and be effective in their job. You understand what acting as a multiplier means.
- you understand that your job is less about development, but more about enabling, managing and delegating.
- You are still hands-on when needed, especially during code reviews and technical decisions.
- You are interested in new technologies and you continuously seek to improve yourself and others.
- You stay up to date with the field, and you share your knowledge openly with your colleagues and the tech community.
- K8s and cloud
What’s in it for you
- Diverse international community (46+ nationalities).
- Hybrid working policy.
- Unlimited paid holidays, minimum-based not maximum.
- 1,000 EUR personal development budget.
- Complete coverage for commuting.
- Personal equipment, including laptop and ergonomic setup.
- Relocation support & 30% ruling application assistance.
- Gym membership discount with GoVital or OneFit.
- Variable pension scheme.
- Dutch/English classes budget.
- Fun team-building and after-work drinks every Friday.
If you have further questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Something looks off?